Ingredients For The Pork:
- ± 1,2 – 1,5kg pork shoulder, bone in
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of Spicy Mexican Style Taco Spice
- 1 tsp of mustard powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 brown onions, sliced
- 340ml / 1 bottle Loxtonia Pale Amber Cider
- 250ml / 1 cup of good quality BBQ sauce
Ingredients For Serving:
- 8 soft brioche-style hamburger buns
- Softened butter, for toasting
- 4 Tbsp of tangy mayonnaise
- 8 large dill pickles, sliced
- 2 cups of fresh coleslaw
- 2 pink lady apples, sliced into thin matchsticks
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sweet potato fries to serve
- Rub the pork with olive oil and season well with the spices, salt and pepper.
- Sear the pork in a heavy based cast iron pot / Dutch oven until golden brown all over.
- Add the onion, Loxtonia Pale Amber Cider and BBQ sauce.
You can cook the pork several ways:
Option #1: Cover and cook in a 135˚C oven for ± 3½ hours until tender.
Option #2: Pressure cook on high pressure for 1½ hours. Natural release.
Option #3: Place in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Once the pork is very tender, transfer the meat to a clean bowl.
- Shred with 2 forks, discarding any excess fatty bits and the bone.
- Strain the onion out of the cooking liquid, place the liquid back on the heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce by half until you have a thick sauce that coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour enough reduced cooking liquid over the pulled pork until super juicy. Mix well.
To assemble the sandwiches:
- Combine the coleslaw and apple.
- Season with lime juice and a pinch of salt. Toss.
Spread a little softened butter onto the sliced buns and toast until deeply golden brown.
Top the toasted buns with a little swish of mayo, a generous pile of pulled pork and the apple slaw. Finish with some sliced pickles and the top bun.
Serve with crispy sweet potato fries on the side and enjoy with a cold Loxtonia Pale Amber Cider.